Best RN to BSN Online Programs in Alaska
1. University of Alaska Anchorage
- Program: Online RN to BS in Nursing Science
- RN to BSN Credits: 30.5
- Length: 4 Semesters
- Accepts Out-of-State RNs: No
Are you an Alaska RN? Put UAA’s Online RN to BS in Nursing Science on your shortlist. It’s a distance-based program that’s custom-made for locals—clinical hours can usually be completed in your home community. If you can’t find a preceptor, you may need to travel to Anchorage for 3 trips (up to 3 weeks per trip). UAA’s School of Nursing is the best in the UA system, which means it has plenty of clinical connections to healthcare providers in Anchorage and Fairbanks. It supports the Recruitment and Retention of Alaska Natives into Nursing (RRANN) program. And it offers MSN & DNP programs.
Cheapest RN to BSN Online Programs in Alaska
To appear in our Cheapest state rankings, Online RN to BSN programs in AK had to cost $10,000 or under. Once we included all the mandatory per credit fees, the total price of UAA’s program was just over this number. But you may be able to offset the cost with financial aid. If price is a big concern, have a look at our national rankings of the Most Affordable Online RN to BSN Programs in the country. All of them are CCNE-accredited.
Fastest Online RN to BSN Programs in Alaska
Our Fastest state rankings are limited to schools that offer Online RN to BSN programs that take less than 1 year/3 semesters on a full-time schedule. That excludes UAA’s offering, which typically takes 4 semesters (e.g. 2-3 courses per semester). Need to get things done quickly? Check out the 2-semester and self-paced options in our rankings of the Fastest Online RN to BSN Programs in the country.
RN to BSN Scholarships in Alaska
Statewide Scholarships for Alaska RN to BSN Students
Alaska Nursing Organization Scholarships
You may have better luck with healthcare bodies such as:
- Mat-Su Health Foundation (MHSF): Academic Scholarships: Funds help defray the cost of higher education in health and human services degree programs.
- Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation (YKHC) Scholarships: Available to students who have been accepted to a health program at an accredited school.
- Bartlett Regional Hospital Foundation: Grace and Phil Edelman Health Sciences scholarship: Open to students from Southeast Alaska who intend to pursue degrees in Health Sciences at accredited colleges and return to Southeast Alaska.
- Alaska Center for Rural Health & Health Workforce: AHEC Scholars: Successful applicants receive stipends & travel support.
Alaska Community Foundation Scholarships
Pay a visit to the Alaska Community Foundation (ACF) and its section on Scholarships. It has info on all kinds of funding opportunities, including the David E. Knox Memorial Nursing Scholarship for nurses who agree to practice in small communities.
Remember that you may also qualify for regional or corporate funds such as:
- Harvey Samuelsen Scholarship Trust (HSST) – Bristol Bay CDQ Residents
- Doyon Foundation Scholarships – Doyon Employees & Children
Alaska Native Scholarships
There is a lot of financial support available for Alaska Natives who wish to pursue educational opportunities. Take a look at the funding offered by the following organizations:
- Indian Health Service (IHS) Scholarships
- Udall Undergraduate Scholarship: Native Health Care
- Arctic Education Foundation (AEF) Scholarships
- The CIRI Foundation: Education Funding
- Chugach Heritage Foundation Scholarships
- Sealaska Heritage Institute (SHI) Scholarships
- Calista Education and Culture Scholarships
- BBAHC Richard Tilden Sr. Health Education Scholarship
- Bristol Bay Native Corporation (BBNC) Education Foundation Scholarships
Alaska Healthcare System & University Partnerships
Do you work for an Alaska hospital or regional healthcare system? Talk to your HR representative about your plans.
As an employee, you may be eligible for all kinds of education benefits (e.g. ANTHC tuition assistance & reimbursement). You may also qualify for tuition discounts or waivers (e.g. resident tuition rates) for universities in northern states.
In some cases, Alaska hospitals offer their own awards to employees and local residents (e.g. Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium (ANTHC) Scholarships). There may even be scholarships for specific schools (e.g. APU Alaska Tribal Health System Scholarship).
University Scholarships for Alaska RN to BSN Students
Be sure to apply for UA Foundation Scholarships. There are awards that are specifically devoted to healthcare professionals (e.g. University of Alaska Southeast (UAS) Health Programs Scholarship).
University of Alaska Anchorage
RN to BSN Requirements in Alaska
RN Licensure: Online RN to BSN degrees are classified as “post-licensure” programs. That means Alaska universities will expect you to have—or be in the process of earning—an RN license. Some schools may be willing to conditionally accept candidates who are waiting to sit the NCLEX exam. Talk to the RN to BSN coordinator.
State Authorization: Do you have an RN license from another state? Check with the RN to BSN program coordinator before you apply. UA programs are usually limited to RNs with a current & valid Alaska RN license.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are 100% Online RN to BSN Programs in Alaska Available?
Yes. UAA’s Online RN to BS in Nursing Science is designed to be virtual. Clinical hours can usually be completed in your home community. However, if you can’t find a local preceptor, you may need to travel to Anchorage for 3 trips (up to 3 weeks per trip).
Can I Choose a “No Clinicals” Online RN to BSN Program in Alaska?
Not really. Accreditation bodies like CCNE and ACEN want to see clinical practicums in an RN to BSN curriculum before they grant approval to programs.
But BSN-level practicums won’t be like clinicals in your associate degree or diploma program. Instead, they will often focus on management areas such as community health & nursing leadership (e.g. shadowing nurse leaders).
Do I Need Statistics to Apply for an Alaska Online RN to BSN Program?
Check with the RN to BSN program coordinator. Statistics is listed as a UAA prerequisite, but you may be able to take it as “co-requisite” during your first or second semester.
Are There Any Online RN to BSN to MSN Programs in Alaska?
Not that we could find. If you’d like to stick with UAA as your university, you can apply for the Online MSN after you’ve completed your BSN.
For alternative pathways, have a look at the online offerings in our listings of RN to BSN to MSN Programs. There are some highly regarded & CCNE-accredited non-profit schools in the mix.